A good turnout of 13 members on a cold but dry morning. We had three specific jobs today. These were:
- The final two sections of the edging to the path alongside the wildflower area were completed today.
- A number of dead gorse bushes near the rocky outcrop on Alexandrina Plantation were cut down and burnt on the wildflower area. The resulting wood ash was removed later in the day and this area is to be harrowed for us by the Council in 2 weeks time ready for fresh seed to be sown in April.
- This weekend was the start of "Clean for the Queen" campaign and the main organiser for this is Keep Britain Tidy who also organise the Green Flag Awards. As our contribution we had 5 people on litter picking duties today (instead of the usual 2) and in addition to the two reserves we also cleared litter from seven local streets collecting a total of eight large size bags!
The Friends are always looking for extra pairs of hands to help out or to simply support their work, so...
- to find out when the next work session will take place, click here, or
- to find out about becoming a member please contact us here, or
- to discover what goes into managing the sites click here.