14 members present. Apologies from Walter Grauberg.
Norman Clyde-Watson gave Notices as follows: -
- A letter has been received from a local resident - Tina Newton - expressing her thanks to the Friends for their work in keeping the Ridge as a place to enjoy, to sit, relax, exercise and admire the view. It was felt that this is what the Friends aspired to and it was good to hear the appreciation.
- Norman had received a call from a resident on Burnside expressing concern about the siting of the new seat on the Ridge which was attracting a large group of youths who were excessively noisy, were drinking and leaving litter. Norman had spoken to the Police for advice as this added to other antisocial behaviour on the Ridge.
OUTCOME - Police advised that Bramcote was due to get a Community Policeman. In the meantime:
- For community issues/antisocial behavior, Contact Sgt. Pearson 9430999 extn 5676
- For incidents involving criminal damage, Contact 9430999 extn 2130
The situation regarding location of the seat was being monitored, in liaison with the resident.
The next workday was to be Sunday 15th May for the planting of wildflowers
Norman then introduced Mike Davey who gave a very comprehensive slide show of his suburban garden in Ruddington covering half an acre. The garden has herbaceous borders, mature trees, ponds and bogs all of which produced an enormous variety of habitat for wildlife.
Norman thanked Mike for his excellent talk.
Postscript - Norman expressed his concern at the very poor attendance, which may have been as the Bank Holiday caused the date to be moved.
Do make a note of future meeting dates on your calendar/ diary as soon as your notices arrive!
Mike Davey has offered to open his garden to the Group if sufficient numbers - on the afternoon of Saturday July 30th. There would be a charge of £2.00 pp which would go to the Air Ambulance and would include light refreshment. Contact Sheila Hardy if interested by 4th July.
Details of Next Meetings
- Monday 6th June 2:15pm - This will be a walk at Attenborough Nature Reserve to see the new Visitor Centre and as it closes early evening, the walk will take place in the afternoon (so we can have tea/cake). Meet in the Rose Grower Car Park at 2:15pm.
- There will be no evening meeting - there will be a CAT meeting at the Rose Grower if interested.
- Monday July 4th - will be a walk on the Ridge led by John Appleton. Meet at the entrance to the Ridge at the top of Sandy Lane at 7:30pm.
- There will be NO meeting in August due to holidays but informal gathering for a social drink at the Rose Grower if interested.
Meetings will resume in September.
Do make a note of the following work dates and please come along, if only to add moral support to those working. All start at 10:30am.
- Sunday 26th June - Path Work
- Sunday 31st July - Bracken Bash and Litter Pick
- Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th September - Grass collection from annual mowing.
A reminder about the Junior Photographic Competition - your Photos need to be submitted by end of October please to allow for judging by the AGM.
The meeting ended at 9:15pm
Since the meeting, we have been notified by Broxtowe BC that the Children's Play Area just off Markham Road is to be re-sited closer to the pathway and overlooking the car park at the end of Sandgate. This will necessitate the removal of a number of mature trees but the Council have assured us that there will be no disturbance to nesting birds and that there will be replacement planting taking place during next winter.
The Friends are always looking for extra pairs of hands to help out or to simply support their work, so...
- to find out when the next work session will take place, click here, or
- to find out about becoming a member please contact us here, or
- to discover what goes into managing the sites click here.