Guided Walk. 16 members took part in an evening walk on Monday 5th June, in which Geoff Fewkes pointed out some of the plants that grow in on the Ridge. How many of us can spot cow parsley (abundant); seeps sorrel, garlic mustard (frequent); hedge woundwort, germander speedwell, red & white campion, wood sage (occasional); pignut, ramsons, heath bedstraw (rare)? We were surprised to learn that as many of 15 species belong to the daisy family eg dandelion, spear thistle and ragwort. We also discovered that there are many species of grass in good grassland. Altogether it was a very enjoyable and informative walk and we are grateful to Geoff.
Meeting of the Committee. The Committee met on Monday 12th June to plan our contribution to the Stapleford Carnival on 9th September, discuss the current position regarding the path and consider the future programme. The details are set out below.
Stapleford Carnival Saturday 9th September. This will be held from 12:00 to 4:30pm at the Ilkeston Road Recreation Ground, close to the Jaguar pub. According to the organisers, the Hemlock Stone Lions Club, the even normally attracts 4000 people. We have reserved a stall position for two trestle tables.
The committee agreed the following:
- Restoration of the display board mounted at the Bramcote Millennium Exhibition last September and reprinting of the information leaflet about our aims and activities
- Sale of plants for which the cooperation of members is needed. Please bring to our meeting on 4th September any plants that you are willing to offer for the Friends to sell. Pots should be clearly labelled with the name (and perhaps variety) of the plant, it’s colour, likley height and preferred location
- Sale of Brid boxes. 4 are ready and a team under John Appleton hopes to make some more.
- Sale of greeting cards showing aspects of the ridge, plants, birds etc.
In anyone has suggestion for other items appropriate to our activities that could be sold, please contact a member of the Committee.
The path. Broxtowe Borough council has declared its readiness to undertake the excavation and stone laying of the path. Groundwork Greater Nottingham is currently finalising the grant application. If and when a grant is received, a timetable for the work can be drawn up and the role of the Friends identified.
Future meetings. No formal meetings will be held in July and August, but members are invited to meet in the Rosegrower on 3rd July and 7th August to socialise.
Work programme. A reminder
- 30th July - Rosebay Pull and Nettle Bash
- 13th August - Bracken Bash
The Friends are always looking for extra pairs of hands to help out or to simply support their work, so...
- to find out when the next work session will take place, click here, or
- to find out about becoming a member please contact us here, or
- to discover what goes into managing the sites click here.